Posts

Showing posts from June, 2010

TCB’in

(that means “takin care of business”)On the docket for this week: Storm door is getting installed tomorrow or maybe this afternoon if we’re lucky. Need to build up the beans’ trellis a little higher with my new fencing. (today)  They are climbing on each other at this point. Finish raking out the unsightly backyard dirt pile (today)Use my BOGO perennial coupon before it expires (tomorrow)Paint the kitchen toe kick as well as the teensy little side pieces of cabinet that require pulling out the dishwasher (this *might* get done Thursday night, otherwise it will have to be next week)AND then we’re off to eastern Kansas for the Fourth of July!  My aunt always has a fun Fourth at her house, and we’ll see my grandma and some cousins we don’t see very often.  There are some great attractions in that part of the country.  They include:  my aunt’s pool!, an apple orchard with a store where you can buy cider slushies (awesome in the Kansas heat),  a parade in a nearby neighborhood that screams…

DIY Cabinet Upgrade Part II

Image
A little bit of sanding with my new sander….A little bit of primer…..And two coats of paint….And we’re on to the next step!  The DOORS! :)I am still thinking about whether we need some kind of clear coat, but I haven’t decided yet.  Anyone have any strong opinions either way?I’m linked to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden :)

DIY Cabinet Upgrade Part I

Image
Our orangey oak builder-basic cabinets have been screaming for some attention since we moved in.  Plus, yesterday I realized that the cabinets in my kitchen at home are the exact same cabinets as the ones in the kitchen at work.  Little tidbit for  you :)
So here are some before pictures:
Right after we moved in At Christmas After we painted and had the light fixture replaced with recessed lights Alright, so first thing to do here is install some trim.
I picked up some 1x2s, some molding (I chose a shorter and squattier version of crown), and some brass brackets.  I spent about $30.
I cut the 1x2s to size with a hand saw. I cut the trim angles with a miter box. I used Liquid Nails and brads from my staple gun to attach the trim to the 1x2s. Then I countersunk all the brads and filled the holes in with wood filler.  Then I coped my one inside angle with a coping saw.  I discovered an “oops” at the same time.  (See below) Then it was time to install! I set each piece on top of the cabinets and…

A Trellis Extension for the Beast

Image
We have an enormous Clematis vine (the “Beast”) growing on the railing of our deck.  It’s so big (and has never been trimmed?), that you can see the old fan trellis it was originally tied to, now literally pulled apart by the vine.  There’s no getting to that old trellis though, unless the whole vine comes down (and I don’t want to do that just yet! It’s very pretty right now.)This clematis is getting SO big…..that it has nowhere else to go.  It has “old wood” stems which have grown around the railing and are supporting it to some extent, but the new growth has trouble getting a hold of the railing.  So the vine is doubling over itself, having nowhere else to grow.I will be trimming the plant to a drastic 12 inches from the ground, but not until winter when it’s dormant.  Until then, I needed to do something about its size.Enter: a roll of fencing and some bamboo stakes.A few snips of the fencing, some simple weaving, and some green garden twist-ties later, the clematis has more room …

I Was Featured!

If any of you have not visited “Tools are for Women Too”, you must go check it out.  Rory posts about his great projects, discusses and reviews tools, and he has a great linky party every Monday too.  From the linky party entrants, he picks a “Modern Craftswoman of the Week” to feature and guess what?????I’m a Modern Craftswoman of the Week!It’s hard to think of myself as a “craftswoman” because I just kind of forge my own way with tools and projects.  But you know, I guess that’s how to learn, right?Thanks Rory!

Secret Garden $35 DIY Headboard

Image
A couple months ago, I picked up these garden thingys from Hobby Lobby.  They looked perfect for something in my “Secret Garden” themed guest room…but what I would do with them I wasn’t quite sure.  Some kind of headboard came to mind.
I set them aside until a good idea could come to mind (plus I was really busy with work for a few months)… and then all of a sudden
I knew what I would do attempt to do!
This picture was my inspiration:
And this is the “before” of the room:
Disclaimer:  I’ve never built anything.  I’ve never taken a woodworking class.  I’m a chick.  Loud tools kind of scare me.  If I can do this project…..and I did…..you can too!
First, I headed to Home Depot to find some newel posts (the big, thick posts at the bottom and corners of railings).  When I got there, I found out newel posts are VERY expensive.  The one I wanted was $38 (and I needed two! eek) So I grabbed a 4x4 instead.  It was about $8.  I had the “Big Saw” (at the store) cut it in half for me.
I also picked up a …