A couple months ago, I picked up these garden thingys from Hobby Lobby. They looked perfect for something in my “Secret Garden” themed guest room…but what I would do with them I wasn’t quite sure. Some kind of headboard came to mind.
I knew what I would
And this is the “before” of the room:
Disclaimer: I’ve never built anything. I’ve never taken a woodworking class. I’m a chick. Loud tools kind of scare me. If I can do this project…..and I did…..you can too!
First, I headed to Home Depot to find some newel posts (the big, thick posts at the bottom and corners of railings). When I got there, I found out newel posts are VERY expensive. The one I wanted was $38 (and I needed two! eek)
I also picked up a cedar fence plank (I was going for a 1x6, but the cedar plank caught my eye and it’s about the right size, plus it smells good) and two 1x2s, all of which I had cut to size for me by the Big Saw.
Oh, I also picked up some “cap” MDF molding to trim the top of the 4x4s.
First thing I did to the lumber was prime it.
Then I got creative with drilling/carving/mucking out four square holes for the 1x2s to fit into.
My sophisticated project area. Don’t worry – that carpet is an old dirty piece that is on the basement floor. The goggles are a must for a Dremel tool. There was sawdust flying “ever-where!”
The holes were certainly not pretty on the inside and you can see in the picture above where the Dremel tool jumped out and carved a little arc in the wood where I didn’t want it. But hey, it’s my first time using this thing, and my first time “carving” anything….and I can fix it with wood filler and paint :) (Or maybe just paint, depending how lazy I am.)
I used wood filler to fill all the gaps:
Then I painted it the same color as the guest room walls (Valspar Coastal Villa)
I added trim around the top using Liquid Nails and brads from my (manual) staple gun. I had a bit of a learning curve cutting the cap pieces since they all need to be at the same angle in order for the cuts to match up, and when you’re holding the trim by hand, it’s easy for the piece to roll a little forward or back as you’re cutting.
Then I weathered the posts and white trim with sandpaper and this stuff:
A Home Depot employee was very helpful finding something to “weather” my wood and she highly recommended the above “Restor-A-Finish.” She teaches faux painting classes and had a lot of examples of her own projects where she used various treatments. One thing she said she never uses is glaze. She said you can get the same effect by diluting a paint, using stain, or using other products (like above). She thought it was a waste of money. Just thought y’all would like to hear that too, since there are a lot of painting projects out there in blogland.
I added the cedar plank for extra support (unprimed so it will still smell good!), and just screwed it to the backs of the 4x4s. I probably won’t bolt the headboard to the bed frame, and instead I’ll just stand it up between the bed and the wall.
I used a grinding stone to smooth the rough edges after I cut through the metal pieces. (Also came in the Dremel kit – I would’ve bought a hack saw had my mom not brought the Dremel tool over when she did because frankly, I would never have known a Dremel tool could be so useful!)
I should also mention I had to buy a fresh quart of the Coastal Villa paint ($11) and the Restore-A-Finish was $8. So you could add those in and the total comes to $54 (but I’ll use those for lots of other projects, so the cost will be spread out.)
The shot above uses a flash, which shows my iridescent stenciling (prior project).
Please stop by some of these blogs and check out all the awesome projects – and be sure to leave some comment love for your favorites :)