October 4, 2011

Time Capsule: $10 Transom Window

Since I admire one of my favorite projects almost daily (except on those days I don’t open the curtains), and since my blogging skills have improved a leeeetle bit since the original post back in March of 2010, I thought I’d do a recap of the $10 “transom window” I made with dollar store supplies.

As much as this picture shows how impatient I was to get the project done (and how excited I was to post about it – let’s be honest!)….

IMG_1374_thumb3

It also really doesn’t do it justice.

The project first started when I moved my “Pottery Barn” drapes higher above the sliding glass door because they were too long for the rod. But then I had a big gap on the wall between the top of the door and the rod, and I just had to find something to fill it. Funny how projects snowball, isn’t it?

I initially thought I’d get some square medallions to put up there in a row, but then I got the idea to use mirrors to replicate a transom window. I thought I’d be buying cheap frames and mirrors, and doing the framing myself.

But the dollar store beat me to it! :-)

IMG_1292_thumb3

A whopping $5 later, and these puppies were in my hot little hands!

While I was there, I also happened to notice a votive holder with a vintage feel, with a little flash of a fake jewel in the middle and some fake filigree. The light bulb went on!

I sprung for $5 more. Got them home, and ripped them apart:

IMG_1288_thumb2

See where I’m going with this??

IMG_1289_thumb3

Next, I needed to paint the frames white in order to make it look as much like a window as possible (and since all our other window trim is white.)

The fact that I had 4 black mirrors and one brown one didn’t exactly help either…

I got out the white trim paint and got to work. (I could be really sloppy because a razor blade works perfectly to get paint off of glass.)

IMG_1304_thumb1

Then I used some Gorilla glue for the medallions, spray painted the rod oil-rubbed-bronze and called it a day.

Before = boring

IMG_1301_thumb1

After = awesome! (and cheap = no guilt if I want to switch it out)

IMG_1374_thumb2

BUT WAIT – THERE’S MORE! (infomercial style Smile)

We ended up painting the kitchen/dining room the next weekend, and it made such a huge difference.

DSC_0381a_thumb4

So here’s the current “after” for ya:

IMG_3354a_thumb4

To be fair, this picture includes several projects I’ve done since the original pictures, including painting the light fixture, refinishing the buffet, and doing the “faux tray ceiling.”

Everything is a work in progress Smile Maybe next time I take a picture of this room, something else will have changed (yeah, probably.)

Thanks for stopping by!

Sig2_thumb1

Linked to:

The Thrifty Home

Blue Cricket Design

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so feel free to leave your 2 cents :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...